Melissa McCarthy ‘heartbroken’ over sudden cancellation of ‘Mike and Molly’

4:39 AM


Embed from Getty Images



CBS has cancelled long-running sitcom Mike and Molly after a 6 season run. In March, the network announced it was ordering 22 episodes for the show’s sixth season, but it was revealed this week that this season will be the show’s last and only 13 episodes will air. The series, which co-starred comedian Billy Gardell revolved around the titular couple, a cop and a teacher who met at an Overeaters Anonymous meeting and fell in love. I can’t believe they got 6 seasons out of this premise, but Billy and Melissa are quite charming, so I can possibly see it.


Melissa, who was recently nominated for a Golden Globe for Spy, tweeted on Monday, “I was shocked and heartbroken when @CBS canceled #MikeAndMolly. I would have shot this show for 50 more years. I’ll miss my 2nd family.” It’s not like the 45-year-old actress doesn’t have anything else on the horizon. She’s got 2 movies, The Boss and Ghostbusters, coming soon and she recently debuted her new Seven7 fashion line – and showed off her slimmed-down figure. On top of that, Forbes magazine declared her the third-highest paid actress in the world this year, surpassed only by Jennifer Lawrence and Scarlett Johansson. Not too shabby.


Melissa’s tweet implies that the show wasn’t cancelled because of her busy film career. The show pulled in decent ratings, bringing an average of 8.4 million viewers during its fifth season. It was no Big Bang Theory, which averaged over 16 million viewers, but it performed better than Two Broke Girls, which brings in an average of 7.8 million viewers. Melissa’s co-star, Rondi Reed, who plays Mike’s mother on the show, was also dismayed by the cancellation and wrote on her Facebook page, “We are done taping as of Jan. 27th, 2016, and I am not sure exactly when/if the episodes will all be aired. The network has its reasons, and I will not get into a debate, discussion, or campaign to get them to change their minds.”


Honestly, I didn’t even know Mike and Molly was still on. I love Melissa, but I’m really hoping she can get better scripts. I’m cautiously optimistic about Ghostbusters, but I’m definitely on the fence about The Boss. I think she’s an amazing comedienne who needs a role worthy of her talents. I mean, her physical comedy skills are on point. Her opening monologue from her 2013 hosting gig on SNL still cracks me up (especially as someone who can’t leave the house without strapping on a pair of heels). I’m sure she’ll be just fine without her sitcom.



Embed from Getty Images




Embed from Getty Images



TCA WINTER PRESS TOUR 2012


Melissa McCarthy ‘heartbroken’ over sudden cancellation of ‘Mike and Molly’


Get the inside scoop on the latest gossip, entertainment, & celebrity news on SheKnows! Find celeb photos, videos & top stories.





More On :

Melissa McCarthy ‘heartbroken’ over sudden cancellation of ‘Mike and Molly’


#Hollywood

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE






Like us on Facebook