Ronda Rousey honors Marine Ball invitation despite crushing defeat: awesome?

9:42 PM






Thank you Lance Cpl. Jarrod Haschert for taking me to the Marine Corps Ball, being such a gentleman, and putting a smile on my face again 🙏🏼


A photo posted by rondarousey (@rondarousey) on Dec 12, 2015 at 8:38am PST




Did you see the Army/Navy game Saturday?! The one in which Navy won? (American College Football reference for our non-US friends.) The Mister and I are both Brats (he Army, me Navy) so it’s a big deal at Temple of Hecate. We dress in our father’s old uniforms, make the Progeny choose sides and hurl insults and couch cushions at each other all afternoon. It was a good game too, but Navy won so The Mister had to do the dishes. It’s the only game that if my team wins (which they did, GO NAVY!) I feel horrible for the losers because they are also military and I only want good things to happen to members of the military. Fortunately, MMA fighter Ronda Rousey feels the same way. In August, Ronda was invited to the Marine Ball by Lance Corporal Jarrod Haschert. She accepted his invitation but suffered a crushing defeat at the feet of Holly Holm in her UFC title fight a month prior the Ball. There was much speculation as to whether Ronda would be able to attend, let alone if she would. She was and she did:


… as she was heading to the ball early Friday, Rousey told TMZ, “I promised I’d go. It’s an honor to be asked.”


In fact, she said, it gave her a reason to leave the house, as she continues to cope after her decisive defeat against Holly Holm in November.


(It was the rescheduling of that fight that freed up Rousey’s schedule in order to attend the ball, according to ESPN.)


“Honestly, I probably would stay on my couch crying and eating ice cream for like another month if he didn’t ask me to go,” Rousey told TMZ.


“After the fight, she never hesitated for a second whether or not she was going to attend,” a Rousey source told ESPN. “She made a promise to a Marine and was going to keep that promise. It was as simple as that. That’s Ronda.”



[From People.com]


I love everything about this; I love that Ronda gladly honored her word, I love that she credited Lance Cpl. Haschert with helping her get over the fight and I love that she eats ice cream and cries like I do when life kicks me in the teeth (albeit it not quite as literally as when that happens to Ronda).


As you may remember, there was a rash of members of the military inviting celebrities to their Balls (I *should* be sorry for how that sounds). Mila Kunis was issued the first invitation and gracefully attended. This prompted her then co-star Justin Timberlake to take a vacation from Doucheland and accept his own invitation. Scarlett Johansson famously declined her invitation but offered to get everyone drunk as recompense. I am of two minds on this; on the one hand, military personnel deserve to have these sensational moments. On the other hand, sometimes it is impossible for the celebrity to reschedule or attend the events because if they say yes once, how do they say no to someone else? If they have to say no, that’s rough on everyone: the asker is embarrassed and the responder is vilified, deserved or not.  Maybe we can set up a secret channel for members of  the armed services to ask celebrities to functions. The invitation/response will only go public once accepted – everyone saves face and gets the publicity they want! I think up solutions all the time, how am I not a mover and shaker in Hollywood?


I am inviting Scarlett Johansson to my Christmas party because I need someone to supply the booze.


Ronda Rousey 193 Media Day in anticipation of UFC 193: Rousey vs. Holm


Exclusive... Ronda Rousey And Travis Browne Out And About In Hollywood


Ronda Rousey And Travis Browne Out And About In Los Angeles


Ronda Rousey is shown out with her boyfriend, Travis Browne, last week and at a media event in late October. Credit: FameFlynet and WENN.com


Ronda Rousey honors Marine Ball invitation despite crushing defeat: awesome?


Get the inside scoop on the latest gossip, entertainment, & celebrity news on SheKnows! Find celeb photos, videos & top stories.





More On :

Ronda Rousey honors Marine Ball invitation despite crushing defeat: awesome?


#Hollywood

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE






Like us on Facebook